Monday, August 22, 2011

Couragous by Randy Alcorn , Alex Kendrick, and Stephen Kendrick




I had long looked forward to viewing the movie Courageous, so when I had the chance to review this book-of-the-movie, I was thrilled. I picked it up eager for a satisfying read. . .and was sorely disappointed. 

The mechanics of the book were, much to my chagrin, very poor; Point of view especially was sorely lacking throughout the book. "Telling" was rampant throughout the story as opposed to the much better craft of “showing”. Books with poor writing mechanics are a nightmare read for me and after slogging in as far as I dared, I skimmed through the rest of the book. 

I do not knock the focus and theme of the book, turning father’s hearts back toward their children, naturally exactly like the movie. I do however feel that it should have been done with more writing mechanics in mind. I can only wonder what sort of book would have been revealed with greater detail to craft.

I have enjoyed other books by Randy Alcorn so I am slightly perplexed why the quality of this one is so radically different. I have heard Courageous was done through a three day meeting with the Kendrick brothers, and if that is true, then I can see why the book would be like this. However, I might be able to see why, I cannot excuse it.

If you have low interest in writing craft and in the writing quality of the books you read and prefer the message or overall plot premise you perhaps would enjoy Courageous.

Find it here and more books like it here

1 comment:

T.D. said...

Eh, not surprised. Books-based-on-movies are rarely any good. I tried reading Letters to God after watching the movie and pretty much skimmed. Not that the writing was poor, not terrible anyway, but it just doesn't really work, you know? I'm sure the movie will be infinitely better. *nods*

PS *chuckles* Can't make up your mind what to call your blog, huh? :]